I own a small business. I’m also the father of a two young boys.
I’ve recently come to the conclusion that these two positions are quite similar.
Here’s my list of 25 ways running a small business is like raising a child.
1. Neither come with instructions.
2. They’re both messy.
3. Maintaining a positive attitude is critical.
4. Prayer helps.
5. Patience is a virtue.
6. You learn to deal with stinky stuff quickly.
7. You can never be fully prepared.
8. You learn something new every day.
9. Advice, from others with experience, is important.
10. Both experience growing pains.
11. They both go through phases – good and bad.
12. You can’t clock out.
13. No two are alike.
14. What works for others may not work for you.
15. You wish they came with an owners manual.
16. It’s fun to celebrate milestones.
17. You always want them to succeed.
18. The ultimate goal is to get them to be self-sustaining.
19. You have to be careful not to let them come before your spouse.
20. You always wonder if you’re doing the right thing.
21. Vacations aren’t really vacations.
22. It looks a lot easier than it is.
23. You’re amazed when they begin loving you back.
24. They make you a better person.
25. You wouldn’t trade them, or the experience, for anything.
What can you add?